Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Singer 640 Golden Touch And Sew

The Singer 640 is one of several models in the Touch And Sew series by Singer produced during the 1970s.   One of the most interesting aspects of the model was its ability to wind the bobbin in the bobbin carrier.  As a top loading full rotary hook sewing machine, the bobbin was placed on the carrier.  At the push of a lever or button, the assembly would raise or lower.  This permitted the machine to wind the bobbin, and then reset to sew.  Unfortunately, many of these machines suffered from minor adjustment issues from time to time requiring frequent repair by a sewing machine technician.
The Singer 640 offered straight stitch and zig zag with full stitch length and stitch width control.


 
Note the outer silver grey colored circle.  This is the hook.  Inside the hook you will note the bobbin carrier also silver grey colored circle.  Inside the carrier you see the bobbin with two white stripes and a clamp holding it in place.   Also notice the black bracket extending from the bottom right.  This bracket has a spring on it facing the carrier.  This bracket must be properly set to permit the movement of the thread around the bobbin.  Too tight and the thread binds up.  Too lose and the thread flops around.  At the Far lower right is an eccentric used to adjust the bracket.  To remove the carrier, the black bracket must be lifted and moved to the right.

 
The front surface mounted tension assembly is held in place by a set screw under the cover.  It may be removed for service, replacement, or repair as needed.  Please note inside the tension assembly is a small metal rod about 1/25 inches long. Do not lose or forget to install this rod when servicing the tension assembly.  The presser bar lever presses against the pin or rod to open and close the tension assembly.  Always thread with presser foot in the up position relieving the pressure on the tensions.

 
Replacing the gears is pretty easy.  Always replace gears in sets.  A gear with 2 or more set screws will rest on the round portion of a shaft and may be adjusted around and along the shaft.  A gear with 1 set screw sits on the flat of the shaft and may only be adjusted back and forth along the length of the shaft.  To remove gears:  remove motor mount to the right and anything that prevents moving the shaft to the right.  Release guide set screws and move shaft to the right.  Remove gears.  Replace gears.  Reassemble paying very special attention to proper tooth alignment.  
 
The challenge of gear replacement is not removal and replacement of gears.  The challenge is resetting all affected settings on the sewing machine: feed, hook, needle bar, and over all balance.
 
Repairing older sewing machines is fun and rewarding.  To learn these special skills, check out Fix Sewing Machines Institute.  They offer a comprehensive correspondence program for sewing machine repair plus the top rated all brand sewing machine school.  For live classes see http://www.FixSewingMachines.com
 





17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the Singer 630 Golden Touch and Sew. I have not used it in many years and I seem to have forgotten how to get the bobbin thread engaged with the upper thread needle. The bobbin is full and the end of the thread is in the 'hole' in the thread plate below. What am I doing wrong?

Unknown said...

I am having the same issue with my 640. How do we get the bobbin thread picked up by needle?

Catherine said...

I have just dusted and oiled my 640 inside and out. Now that I have put it all back together, the upper thread will not pick up the bobbin thread. The part under the bobbin is not moving. How can I adjust this or correct whatever I messed up? Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hello, I bought a singer 640 from an elder lady, I love the machine, but once I stop pressing the pedal, the machine continues sewing for about 10-15 more stitches, is this normal or it needs some adjustment? Because it is danger in my opinion. Thank you for your help

Peggy Dewey said...

I have a Singer 640. I have just had the bottom gears replaced. Now the top gear has broken. With the trauma going on in the USA, my repair man cannot find a new replacement gear. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I have replaced gears on two Singer 640 machines. The problem was "plastic" gears wear out. If you are handy replacing the gears is not hard, but adjusting them can be a little difficult. There are adjustment service manuals on the internet. The gears are available on Ebay. I think the set of gears are numbers: 163328, 163329, 163996, 163997 and 174204. The gear that goes on the top is the 163328. The gears fit models 620-625-628-629-630-635-640-600-649-Series.

angelkids2 said...

need help with my 640 machine. I had it worked on in 2016. The repair man replaced the gears that were broken. i only used it twice after that. I moved in 3/2018 to Young Harries and i have pulled out my sewing machine to make some curtains and now when i try to wind me a bobbin it will not catch and wind around the empty bobbin. Need to find someone in this area to fix.it.

Noni said...

I have Singer 640 T&S. I know nothing about repairs, but I managed to replace all gears except the one below the bobbin which was still ok. I've reset the bobbin timing. The feed dog goes up and down but not back and forth. I noticed the shaft/rod (not sure of the term) that should make it go back and forth is not moving. I see the top rod moving (bobbin). I see the middle rod moving (feed dog up and down). But the bottom rod which I believe should make the feed dog go back and forth does not move.. Can you help me?

angelkids2 said...

Can anyone help me on how i can get some parts for the top of the 640 Singer touch and sew. My stitch length lever broke and then i need a part that also broke in the top i think it is the one that holds the lever for the cams in the top. please let me know if any one has or knows of a 640 for sale just for parts.

Anonymous said...

I have a 640 singer , I'm in Florida, any interest in this machine ? Value of it , have all extra parts for it,
Email me
thompson_dee55@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I can not change the stiching on a Delux zig zag 600 singer sewing machine

bfulton26@gmail.com said...

can you show me how to change the stiching on a a delux model 600 zig zag singer sewing machine

Anonymous said...

Very informative article. hand operated sewing machine

caroline Lindebak said...

I have a 640 that was sewing fine and now no matter where the stitch regulator is, it won't move when you sew, it just sews right in place. I've checked everything I can think of, what am I missing?

Unknown said...

I have a singer 640 and I am getting motor run on after the control is released

Anonymous said...

I just received a Singer Golden Touch and Sew 640 and I cannot get the bobbin thread picked up by the needle (there is no book with this machine) what am I doing wrong?

aaavacuumandsewingmedia said...

Nice blog, it provides many informative and helpful articles. Thanks for sharing the information. Looking for more updates in the future.

sewing machine mechanic